Thursday, August 03, 2017

TED'S DIGITAL JUNGLE #14: HENRY JENKINS AND CONVERGENCE CULTURE

Am now immersing myself in Henry Jenkins, and am happy to report that he practises what he preaches - lots of great material on YouTube!. Here is a link to a master class he gave in Mumbai
in 2014 in which he explains some of the basic principles of Convergence Culture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmYO1nPBkgA

What I like about Jenkins is that he is open, rather than dogmatic or messianic, and he encourages discussion and exchanges.  For me personally,  he has provided a welcome breath of fresh air for my dissertation, which now has the title:

DOCUMENTARY IN THE AGE OF CONVERGENCE CULTURE: SOME CASE STUDIES

I am working on the first case study now, and the subject will be The MONUSCO Video Unit which I ran from 2007-2012. This will give me an opportunity to describe UN Strategic Communications efforts  using  Jenkins' terminology for Convergence Culture, as well as make an assessment of the challenges confronting these efforts in the Age of Convergence Culture.

This all is beginning to make some sense now  - thank you, Professor Jenkins!!!

t

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home