Friday, December 30, 2011

Tony Manshino Foundation and FPCD for Haiti Youth

Remarks by Hunter Kinkead, Director of the Tony Manshino Foundation regarding Youth Center Goal in Haiti.
 
 
"Good evening!  I'm Hunter Kinkead, director of the Tony Manshino Foundation. Its wonderful to see such beautiful faces in the room tonight! I would first like to thank the university for allowing us to be here today and I thank everyone for taking time out your busy lives to come join us. I'm grateful for all those who put this event together and for giving us the opportunity to talk about our humanitarian work however big or small it maybe. Every bit counts! With that said, it is my pleasure to inform you of our work at the Tony Manshino Foundation.
 
I get asked many questions the work we do. People ask me why is Haiti my passion? Why insist on such a mission? They say The government is corrupted what’s the point?!  And I answer Yes! we get it! We know Haiti has had a reputation for having a corrupt government but what does that have to do with the innocent adults and children? Should they be punished because of their government? Should they suffer the consequences of inequality? These are the questions I ask myself.

Visiting Haiti personally has helped me to see why there should be such a point. I’ve met the most amazing people. Intelligent, inspiring, persevering and creative. Their resilience and determination is what I admire and caused me to take action and join #Team Haiti!
The founder, Tony Manshino, of Haitian descent,  is an artist, music producer, writer, film and documentary producer, in Haiti. He discovered his passion in humanitarian work when he noticed the emphasis placed on food and medical needs. He felt compelled to take the initiative on improving the educational system in Haiti.

Tony realized the creative element in children has been neglected. So he decided to construct a school of arts where children can obtain medical treatment, a nutritious meal, while cultivating their creativity in an educational environment.
Already as a grassroots, the Tony Manshino Foundation has fundraised  up to $25,000 and sponsored our first orphanage, Melissa's Hope, located in Port au Prince, Haiti. Our program has equipped the children of Melissa's Hope with school uniforms, an educational program; we’ve employed teachers and teacher assistants! Now we're setting our goals even higher. Not only are we fundraising to build our school of arts but we've sponsored our second orphanage  Bon Samaritain located in Croix des Bouquets, Haiti. We've Teamed up with The Foundation for Post Conflict Development and Spring Break in Haiti to build a youth center that focuses on the community of Croix des Bouquets.

Our goal for the youth center is to stimulate Haiti’s economy by employing the people of Haiti and to create healthy resources for the youth to utilize such as recreational activities, art programs and limited medical care units. This meshes well with TMF's mission! Having seen the devastation in Haiti and I know many of you have seen pictures or TV documentaries I can merely share with you at a glance my experiences but i can tell you to witness first hand the deepest needs we take for granted like water and shelter I was then finally able to see the importance. Initially my imagination couldn't think that far and wide however upon arrival in Haiti I was sure to get an eye opener . Now I know a two fare metro card in New York City doesn't even equate to the daily salary of man in Haiti with a family of four. To the surprise of many the minimum wage in Haiti is currently .25 per hour. I know now a child will eat one meal to the point of regurgitation with the intention of it lasting her for the next 3days. Why are these facts important? They're important because when one person is denied their human right, all of us has been denied as well. To be denied doesn't mean we have to be tolerant. I also know that Haiti has given birth to entrepreneurs as young as eight years old. These budding leaders deserve to be challenged and welcome the challenge as well. They look forward to bright futures and dreams of living their fullest potential. I know that they still have faith despite the odds set before them. TMF is a foundation that encourages the youth by creating leaders for Haiti’s tomorrow and we’re looking for partners to join us on that mission. To invest their time, energy, resources and ideas. To donate to the Tony Manshino Foundation  or to learn more about our programs feel free to email me at hunterkinkead@gmail.com  or call 917.202.0716"


1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!

Thank you for the great work you are doing in Haiti.. it's really amazing.

I want to make a donation to help the orphans you care for. What would my donation go towards? (food, school, clothing). I have tons of clothes and some school supplies at home, I could also give you those. Is your orphanage in Cros buquets the most in need?

Thank you!!

barbarac00@hotmail.com

10:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home